18 February, 2012

Some Animals Just Shouldn't Be Pets.

Animals can make even the most timid person smile! That is why many kids adore puppies and kittens, which I agree make great companions for anyone of any age! The problem is that not all animals are meant to be kept as pets. I believe that any animal that has to be kept in a cage or can't walk around the home shouldn't be kept as a pet. Quick examples are any exotic animals in general. This means birds of any kind, (including parrots), tarantulas, frogs, iguanas, snakes, turtles/ tortoises, and large fish. I had a tarantula for a whole year and his name was Saxon. I eventually moved out from where I lived and realized that I couldn't keep him any more. It seemed sad at the time to let him go, but I realized that he is a wild animal and should be released. So my boyfriend and I made the decision to hike up some mountains and leave him in the perfect place. When he stepped on the leaves and dirt, his natural instinct immediately kicked in! He began spinning a web and made himself at home under a tree we left him by. Every animal has wild instincts, including the domesticated animals such as dogs, cats, and farm animals. You let a bird out of a cage and they'll fly away, release a frog near a pond and they'll know where to go. All animals have defense mechanisms which help them survive in their natural habitats. That's why many cats and dogs like to be out at night, to hunt for mice or hide under the grass to pounce on other animals. So if you have a bird or any animal I mentioned, think about what is right for them. Is it morally right to keep any animal in captivity?

4 comments:

  1. A very interesting post, Adi. I have a rescue dog called Benjy and as well as allowing him to indulge in his natural behaviors like digging and swimming he also loves to sleep in my bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you have a rescue! It is true that many dogs and cats love to sleep indoors. My siamese prefers sleeping on the bed too!

      Delete
  2. Well but I think you should think carefully where to release a bird that has been caged its whole life. If you just open the cage and let it fly away, it'll soon be killed by native birds or maybe starve because it never learned how to find its own food ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course. Hence why people shouldn't buy them in the first place. Many birds are sensitive to alarm and can quickly die, so releasing them somewhere safe could be a good idea, but either way it won't secure their safety, so it is best to just let nature take it's toll. And I highly doubt that they'll die of starvation since they can detect food like any other animal.

      Delete