17 September, 2012

"What's it to ya'?" Stupid questions people ask.

Mind the type-o in, "Where do you get *protein from?" >_<
Oh yes, as vegetarians, vegans, pescatarians, etc, we will get asked strange questions. So I've decided to dedicate this blog to all of us and share some of the things that people have asked and said to me. Here we go!


1. "Oh you're vegetarian? So you eat chicken and fish, right?"
2. "But you're so skinny already! Why would you want to lose more weight?"
3. "Where do you get your protein from?"
4. "Did you know that meat has the most protein?"
5. "Are you in PETA?"
6. "Do you wear real fur or leather?"
7. "What do you eat? Do you just eat salads?"
8. "Do you ever miss eating meat?"
9. "Isn't that too extreme?"
10. "If you ate meat by accident would you stop being vegetarian?"

So, those are the questions I could remember at the moment. Now, here come the insults, opinions, and really stupid unethical statements. I'm sure that many of you have heard these as well. Oh boy, here we go.

1. "Ugh, I could never be vegetarian."
2. "I love animals, but I love eating meat a lot!"
3. "Plants can feel too! So you're still killing the environment."
4. "Vegetarians are lame."
5. "I went vegetarian once but it was really hard."
6. "Vegetarians are so annoying! They think they know everything."
7. "Vegetarians/ Vegans are hypocrites."
8. "Vegetarians are always judging others and trying to force people to be like them."
9. "I hate when vegans act like they don't miss meat. You're not better than everyone."

And last, but certainly not the least, the grandaddy of stupid and unethical insults that ticks me off to the core of my heart. However, I always correct them with a wonderful quote from Frances Moore Lappe's book: Diet for a Small Planet. Thank you Frances. :) Get ready everyone, here comes the statement:

10. "Hey vegetarians, if you're trying to save animals so bad then why are you eating all of their food? Stop being stupid so that they can have some!"

My response: "We feed about 90 percent of our corn, oats, barley, and sorghum and over 90 percent of our unexported soybean crop to animals." - Frances Moore Lappe

Now the question I ask you all is: What questions have people asked you? Also, what insults have you heard or have been told to you because of your choices? Feel free to leave any comments, stories, or responses below!

15 comments:

  1. I love this blog :) A few weeks ago I was asked "So if an a lion attacked you, does that mean you can't fight back?"

    We were on our way to the food court at the mall, so I explained that it was unlucky we'd run into an angry lion at taco bell and it was far more likely his meal would have met an angry human at the slaughterhouse!

    Thanks for the great content!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah awww thank you! Oh my goodness, we must have met the same person because I've been asked that question too!

      I'm like, "Seriously? Even if I tried I'm like 5'2"; I can't really do much!" lol

      Thank you for your comment and positive energy! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Adi, I have been asked a lot of questions over 18 years as a vegetarian, but I have rarely been insulted by anyone. I am pretty shy about many things, but I am completely confident in my decision to be vegetarian. So, I see questions as an opportunity to inform people. Most women tell me they could easily go without meat. A couple of weeks ago, I even had a (male) cook at a restaurant tell me that he wished he was raised veg like my kids, so that he wouldn't crave meat. I suggested he try Meatless Mondays for now, and he had never heard of it. I hope in some small way I can help a few animals! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. :) That's good that you've hardly been given any insults. The one's I've encountered are from people online who would never say it in person. It's so nice too that you have confidence on your vegetarian decisions. I'm glad that you approach these questions in a positive way, because there's a lot of people who are still a bit stumped on what a vegetarian diet is really like. I've met some people like that cook as well who wished they wouldn't eat meat so much. It was a good idea that you suggested Meatless Mondays too, I hear it's really helped a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. Hey I've been a vegetarian basically all my life and I decided to talk about how people judge us for an English talk. I've been asked and told basically all of this! I've decided to mention some of your examples in my talk! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see that I'm not alone on this, and I'm flattered by you using some of my examples! :)

      Delete
  4. one i get asked a lot is "so are you still veggie then?" as if it's just a fad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Jonny, I get asked that one at least once a month by people at work...very annoying indeed!

      Delete
    2. I usually get this by older aunts and uncles and people from high school. hahah

      Delete
  5. I'm not a vegetarian but I agree with you, Adi. I eat meat and all but when I watch slaughterhouse stuff about animals getting killed, I feel sorry for the animals. Like you get born into the world, then, knowing you're going to die at the end. At least give the poor animal a life to live. I love animals AND plants!

    I've heard in many studies that, "Plants can feel pain". I'm doing a blog about it. But then again, I don't think it's fair that animals can at least run away from the hunter and plants can only stay in one spot. Plants AND animals 4 life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand; we all have a conscious and not everyone is cruel enough to watch a slaughterhouse video and laugh about it.

      I'm not a strong believer that plants feel pain, and the act of eating plants is far less harmless than eating a being of flesh and blood. However, let me know when you write some posts on it, I'd like to see. :)

      Delete
  6. Can do! Thank you for your reply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY don't want to bother you, but I just finished writing my blog about: "Do plants respond to pain?" You can go and check it out IF you want to! This is the best I can do to link. (I don't even know how to link posts yet, how embarrassing!)

    http://rocketrooroos.blogspot.com/b/post-preview?token=mUY0_EIBAAA.aoP0kKmIueqrB5yfkEg94g.Ztx-7h44kWAf7Pi8lAJ3rw&postId=7310191742212565961&type=POST


    I can't link it, so you can just search it up by copying it and then paste it on google!

    Oh and merry christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it, I'm a night owl. :)
      I'll read it right now.

      And Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete