25 June, 2013

Meat to Veggies: Steps To Living Vegetarian.

There are many ways one can become vegetarian. I've been asked by a friend what would be a great way to start a vegetarian lifestyle, so I gathered the best steps I can think of for anyone choosing to make the switch from meat to veggies.

I've shared my veggie story before, but long story short: I gave up all meat in one day. However, I don't recommend everyone tries that because you WILL lose a lot of weight and bringing your weight up can be challenging, especially if you're already skinny. Below are the steps that I'd recommend for beginners:

Be responsible and discipline yourself:
We can never go far without responsibility and self-discipline in whatever we choose to do in life and switching to a vegetarian lifestyle is no different. You have to be devoted to the cause you are about to commit yourself to if you want to thrive in this new way of living.

Take in the lifestyle one day at a time:
Unless you've done your research and have plenty of veggie meals and recipes ready, the best thing to do is to buy more fruits, vegetables, and legumes and incorporate them into the food you usually eat. Rather than shocking your body, this will allow your body to get used to the changes in your food. The body takes 11 days to become accustomed to new food, so after two or three weeks of reducing the amount of meat you eat, you can officially reduce the meat products to (basically) zero.

Eat out less, cook more often:
We all need a little bad in our system, but if you eat junk food more than home-cooked meals then you've got a problem. Cook more meals at home and eat out only once a week or once every two weeks. Even if the fast food is vegetarian like burritos, pizza, sandwiches, etc. they don't give you the nutrition and energy that a home-cooked meal can give you. Not knowing how to cook is no excuse either. You can start with something as simple as a quesadilla. If you want to take a step further, add beans and avocado! Look up recipes and experiment with herbs, spices, and vegetables. Be creative!

Educate yourself on vegetarianism and animal rights:
Being aware about what goes on in the meat and dairy industry can certainly inspire you to try your best in living a healthier life. You can also help educate anyone with questions about vegetarianism. Just don't overdue yourself; you don't want to come off as if you're ranting about everything and everyone opposite of you. Always be courteous and patient with curious and even rude people. Whoever wants to know will ask and you can be there to help.

Being a vegetarian is not hard. If you can learn to be committed, creative, resourceful, and curious to learn more, you will definitely live a fruitful and healthy vegetarian life.

If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your question(s) in the comment box below.

"Look deep into nature, 
and then you will understand
everything better." 
- Albert Einstein

3 comments:

  1. It's such an useful post, I never liked meat but the tricky part is that I love milk and basically all the types of cheese and yogurt, so I'm still considering this option.. maybe when I'll actually feel like I need a change in my lifestyle everyhing will seem easier.

    Have an amazing week,
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a vegetarian for 7 years now and I basically went "cold turkey" and stopped eating meat all together one day actually hoping I'd lose weight but I never did. To this day I'm still working on getting in shape. I don't know maybe everyone's body processes things differently. I love your post though, it's very informative and I imagine it will help someone who is thinking about turning vegetarian or vegan. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great and informational post. I also have a blog on vegetarianism. I check out the ingredients in large companies, to find hidden animal products.

    Isitveggie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete