Sorry for missing last week's Vegetarian Myth! :( But I have a very good one today, so keep reading. ;) Vegetarian Myth #7 is all about PETA and how people always assume that every vegetarian/ vegan worships them. Yet, I have a list with many ETHICAL reasons as to why they're no good.
I'll admit, I was all for PETA (for two years) when I first became a vegetarian. However, I was a high school teenager who didn't know any better. I left the PETA bandwagon about three years ago and turns out that I'm not the only vegetarian who doesn't support them either.
Many vegetarians and vegans have their own reasons for not following the large, false "cruelty-free" cult, but I left because I grew suspicious of their actions. (When terminating my account with them, they took over a month and I had to send a frustrated e-mail just so they can get the job done!) There are many reasons why someone wouldn't support PETA; here are a few of mine:
1. I never liked the way they protested. How is putting naked women in a cage with fake blood going to make people take animals into consideration?
2. Why would they target young children with graphic cartoons (above) to try and make them go against their parents?
3. How on earth does vegetarian/ vegan pornography help save animals?
4. Are they so desperate in getting their points across that they recruit any celebrity who doesn't wear fur but eats meat?
5. In 2012, 1,843 animals were retrieved by PETA and only 19 were adopted. The rest of them were killed. That's 1,647 animals who were killed under their name.
6. As a lover of Pit bulls and half a mommy to one ("Baby" Soldier) PETA strongly approves the euthanasia of ALL Pit bulls in shelters/dog pounds and that the ones that have owners should be spayed/ neutered so that the breed will not grow. They basically want Pit bulls to go extinct; and all because the founder of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk, was bitten by one and has scars.
*The list goes on!*
They even had the nerve to offend women who don't shave their private areas.
There is nothing ethical about PETA and they constantly lie to get people on their side. Unfortunately, there are many kind vegetarians and vegans who support them but don't know what's really behind the PETA curtain. Always remember to do your research before joining any groups, whether they're cruelty-free, environmental, etc.
Consider this vegetarian myth DEBUNKED! Like seeing vegetarian myths get solved? Stay tuned for next Fridays vegetarian myth! And feel free to share this post as well.
Know of any vegetarian myths that you want to see debunked? Comment & let me know! :)
Want to read past vegetarian myths? Click on the links below:
Stay alert, spread the word, and enjoy your Friday!