Monday, February 10, 2014

Lifestyles 101: Pescatarian.

Pescatarian (or pescetarian) have given up all meat except fish, but no crab, shrimp, octopus, etc! There is a common rumor that they eat chicken as well, but that is false. The rest of their meals consist of vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. Why would someone stick to fish only? Here's why:

Our bodies need many vitamins to keep us healthy. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential nutrients that help reduce blood clots, protect against heart disease, build cell membranes in the brain, etc. Our bodies cannot produce omega-3, but can be found in flax seeds, almonds, soybeans, and others. However, pescatarians prefer to get their source through fish.

Things to Look Out For: Large amounts of fish intake can lead to mercury poisoning. Oil spills contaminate the water and aquatic life, causing fish to die or become contaminated. If you're pescatarian, try to eat more vegetables than fish. Remember to exercise!

Are you or have you ever been a pescatarian? Share your stories, comments, and questions in the comment box below!

Past "Lifestyles 101" blog posts:


Stay tuned for next Monday's "Lifestyles 101" blog post, my guppies!

Tumblr  ~  Google +  ~ Twitter
 photo tumblr_inline_mfmf24cfO01qaw0bs_zps49259a75.gif            photo tumblr_inline_mg1ak2JuRi1qdlkyg_zpsc8a1a205.gif           photo tumblr_inline_mll0s4uAS01qz4rgp_zps2140ff4b.gif

4 comments:

  1. I was a Pescatarian for many years before going vegan 2 years ago. While it was certainly easier to eat that way, especially dining out, I needed to give it up for my own conscience. :) Like you, I'm not one to preach to others, but if they ask I give my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! :) It takes a lot of courage for people to switch from pescatarian to vegan.

      That's exactly why I made my blog too. I never want to tell people what thy can and can't do, so I just state the facts here in case anyone is interested in knowing.

      Delete
  2. Awesome post Adi!!! I love your new Lifestyles 101 series!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm glad that you're enjoying them so far. :)

      Delete

Don't be afraid to share your opinion. I accept you with open arms. :)