19 July, 2015

Waiting on the police for 4O minutes.

This isn't a, "I hate the cops", type of blog post. Being from South Central, I understood at a young age that there are both good and bad cops. However, while walking home last night with my husband, a Caucasian man on a bicycle was following us and trying to start problems. As we ignore him, he stops, pulls out a handgun, and aims it straight towards us. My husband told me immediately to run and not stop. I felt panicked and like I was running the slowest I ever had in my life, but my husband said I ran pretty fast. You literally feel light, slow, as if you're dreaming.

We called the police right away and they told us they just sent a unit and to wait in the area we were in. Nine minutes pass by and no one arrives. The frustrating part of all this is how long the police took to show up. We called again and we were told that they have been waiting for us for 15 minutes, but no one was there. About seven minutes later, the two police officers show up and begin to ask us questions about the suspect (the usual). Aside from one officer smoking (I hate cigarettes), the other explains that they're not usually assigned to patrol the area we were in, so they were a bit lost.

In the end, we gave them all the information possible on the man and they gave us a ride home since I didn't feel safe walking it anymore. This happened only a couple of blocks away from our place. For those of you who live in Los Angeles, this happened by the bridge on 7th and Francisco, right by the Target in Downtown on 7th & Figueroa. He's a Caucasian man around his late 5Os, about 5'1O", 14O-158 lbs (skinny), white/ grey mustache and short beard, baseball cap, and most likely on a bicycle.

Wherever you live, stay safe and always watch your back. Also, with the whole "Black Lives Matter" movement, all I can advise is to never give attitude to a police officer. I've seen officers pick on black people instead of me on the street, and from what I've seen, the only ones who got into real trouble were the ones who started talking back, giving attitude, &/or began approaching the officer(s). I've been both harassed and well taken care of by different police officers, so just be nice and calm with all of them and you should be fine. Remember that ALL LIVES MATTER.

Esperando al policía por 4O minutos.
Esto no es una publicación de, "Odio los policías". Siendo de sur centro, yo entendí en una edad muy joven que hay policías buenos y malos. Pero, cuando camine a casa con mi marido la noche pasada, un hombre Americano no perseguía en su bicicleta y tratando de empezar problemas. Mientras que lo ignoramos, el paro, saco una pistola, y la apunte sobre nosotros. Mi marido me dijo que corriera inmediatamente y no parar. Me sentí con pánico y como que estaba comiendo lo mas lento en mi vida, pero mi marido dijo que corrí bien rápido. Te sientes literalmente ligero, lento, como si estuvieras soñando.

Llámanos la policías rápidamente y nos dijeron que mandaron alguien y que esperemos. Pasaron nueve minutos y nadie llego. La parte frustrante era cuanto tiempo tardo la policías para llegar. Llamamos otra ves y nos dijeron que ya tienen 15 minutos esperándonos, pero nadie estaba allí. Como siete minutos después, llegaron dos policías y nos preguntaron cosas sobre el sospechoso. Aparte que un oficial estaba fumando (odio los cigarros), el otro nos explicó que normalmente no son asignados por nuestro rumbo, entonces estaban un poco perdidos.

Al final, les dimos toda la información posible sobre el hombre y nos llevaron a casa porque yo no me sentí segura caminar. Esto paso no muy lejos de nuestro lugar. Para los que viven en Los Ángeles, esto paste arriba del puente en la calle 7 y Francisco, sobre el Target en Donwtown en la calle 7 y Figueroa. Era un hombre Americano ya viejo, como 5O-6O años. Era como 5'1O" de estatura, 14O-158 lbs. (flaco), bigote y barba blanca con gris, cachucha de baseball puesta, y con una bicicleta.

Donde quiera que vivas, ten cuidado y siempre mira sobre tu espalda. También, sobre el movimiento de "Las Vidas Negras Importan", lo que les puedo avisar es que nunca le den actitud a un oficial de policía. Yo e mirado policías molestar a gente afro americanos envés de mi, y los únicos que salen en problemas son los que empezaron hablar mal, tener actitud, y/ o acércale a los policías. Yo e sido acosada y también cuidada muy bien por policías diferentes, solo seas agradable y calmada(o) con ellos y saldrás bien. Recuerda que TODAS LAS VIDAS IMPORTAN.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! So scary for you and hubby!
    Were glad your okay!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tweedles. I'm glad it didn't end worse.

      Delete
  2. Alarmada como no tienes idea, que petrificante! Lo siento por lo que sucedio. Espero que encuentren al hombre que les asalto. Almenos estan bien, sanos y salvos.

    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Dulce. En serio nunca pensé que algo así pasaría, y menos en esa área que siempre hay policía.

      Delete
  3. God how scary! That sounds horrifying! Thank God you and your husband are alright.
    Stay safe!
    Much love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it means a lot.<3
      I wouldn't want anyone to ever go through something like that.

      Delete
  4. Oh my God, that must have been a nightmare Adi! Living in a country where they don't have guns I can't even imagine how scared you both must have been.
    That is terrible the police took so long, when someone mentions they have a gun pulled on them they should be there asap.
    So glad you were both alright.
    Hugs, Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very terrifying to know there is no way to defend yourself from a gun, at least in a legal manner. And I blame whoever is in charge of sending the units, because those officers clearly didn't know those streets.
      Thank you.<33

      Delete
  5. Wow that would be so scary!! So glad you guys are alright!
    xox

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee. I'm very glad of how lucky we got.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear that you two had to go through this horrible horrible thing :(
    But I'm more than happy to know that you guys are okay! <3

    Your blog/this post was blocked for a while which made me worried...
    I'm glad that you shared your story here.
    You are brave. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm happy that it wasn't any worst.

      Hmm, funny because I've seen ridiculous posts get published and not blocked, yet mine is just a heads up for people to keep an eye out. Hahah

      Delete
  7. That's so scary! I'm glad you are both alright!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah.<3 It literally feels unreal as it happens.

      Delete
  8. Oh my god, Adi! I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I've had my fair share of run-ins with creepy men, but never anything of this magnitude. I'm so glad that you and your husband made it home safely that night! *sending hugs* <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlena.<33333
      Aren't they just the worst?! I hope it never gets this far with you or anyone! I'd have a heart attack.</3
      And how ironic that this never happened to me where I used to live, which is considered one of the most dangerous parts of Los Angeles.

      Delete