06 April, 2013

Twiggy?


I've been a little self conscious about my weight in the past. When I ate meat, I didn't want to get fat, and when I became vegetarian, I didn't want to become very skinny. I lost 12 pounds when I first became a vegetarian. I went from weighing 106 pounds to weighing 94 pounds. I was 16 years old at the time; but I still kept a figure (curves) and my legs were not bony. They miraculously kept a lot of meat. Thankfully!

The reason for my rapid weight loss was because I stopped eating meat immediately and had not done a lot of research on what vegetarians eat. Luckily, as time went on I gained more knowledge about my new lifestyle and slowly gained my weight back. Now that Im 20, I weigh 100 pounds, and hope to reach at least 106 again or maybe 110. After all, I'm only 5'2"! That's right, I'm not that tall. :)

Are all vegetarians skinny though? Not quite.
I had a history teacher in high school who had been vegan since his youth and he was  not skinny, but not very fat either. I have yet to meet other vegetarians or vegans who are not skinny, but that doesn't mean that they are not doing their lifestyle right. Some people are born with the "skinny" gene, and some (I don't mean to insult) are born with the "fat" gene.

When you're born with the "skinny" gene, you can eat as much as five burgers but not gain an ounce of fat on those bones. People born with the "fat" gene can eat healthier and do more exercise than a skinny person, but won't loose a lot of weight. This is no ones fault and if you have either one of these genes, do not let others make you feel bad. (Remember that your height has a lot to do with your weight! A 5'2" person like me weighing 130 pounds is considered overweight, but a 5'10" person with that same weight can be considered normal.)

You know your body better than anyone who judges you for your lifestyle and weight. As long as you know that you're living you're vegetarian or vegan lifestyle as healthiest as possible, there will be no reason to feel bad or self conscious by what others say or by a belief of having the "perfect" body.

Do you or anyone you know have this problem? You're all more than welcome to share stories and/or opinions on the subject.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your recipes!! You remind me of twiggy and amelie, I think I spelled it wrong, but you now the french movie. I'm your newest follower, please check out my blog and follow me too if you like it. Lets keep in touch. :) xoxo

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to skinny gene >_<

    visit my blog ^^
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be considered to have the 'skinny gene'
    But I have anorexia so in my eyes I am not thin
    Logically I know from my clothes size and the number on the scale that I'm not fat but in my head I am
    It's scary not to be able to trust your own eyes but I guess it's all part of the illness

    I think a lot of women are conscious of their weight
    Very few are truly happy with their body
    Sad but true

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost had that problem once. When I was in middle school I didn't want to weigh more than 100 pounds, but as I got older I realized that I had to go beyond 100 pounds in order to reach the full, toned figure that I wanted and thought I already had (which was just in my head.) I work out now and eat a lot, all in hopes of at least weighing 106 pounds again.

      I do wish you well on recovering and good health for you. Stay strong and thank you for sharing.<3

      Delete

Leave a comment + Join the blog!