07 May, 2013

Attitude Adjustment For Arrogant Herbivores.

Hello fellow bloggers and readers, this morning has me in a very nice mood and I thought I'd write a blog post on change that not all of us may think about when switching to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. I was just 16 when I became a vegetarian and my attitude was certainly not on my "Things To Change" list. My thoughts back then were, "I'm giving up meat and I don't care if the change kills me or makes me healthier. I am doing this all for the immense love that I have for animals." Do I still think that way? Somewhat, but in a more realistic manner. Unlike in my teen years, I try to eat as healthy and as many fruits/ vegetables as I can, but if there are no vegetables in the house, don't expect me to heat up some chicken nuggets.

Attitude is a very important issue that some vegetarians or vegans don't understand. This is also very crucial when you want to get your vegetarian points across to non-vegetarians. One thing I never quite did was attack people for eating meat. People would ask me questions like, "How was this meat processed? Can fish feel? Why are you a vegetarian?" etc. All I would do is answer their questions without really judging them for eating meat. When vegetarianism comes into my mind, I simply think of the short and simple saying, "Don't ask, don't tell." If someone is not asking you questions on meat and vegetarianism, don't start preaching to them like they are dying to know. The easiest way to make the change is to not lie to yourself and accept the truth.

People can lie to themselves so much that soon enough they'll believe their own lies. If you have a horrible attitude but tell yourself, "I don't have an attitude problem," overtime you will believe you're right. So remember that the first step is acceptance. Once you've accepted your problem, the next step is change.

Analyze your attitude. Think of the times you give tones to people or make faces when they say certain things and ask you certain questions. Are those remarks really worth getting mad over? Will they be important the next day, in a week, a month, a year? If not, there is no reason to let something that someone said or asked anger you. After you find the things that trigger your attitude, stay sharp and alert and practice when talking to people.

Catch yourself before you commit the error of giving someone an attitude. If the question, "Why would someone become a vegetarian?" made you start having a bad tone with people, calmly explain to them why someone would be a vegetarian but without having that bad attitude in your voice, or in your system! Be calm and be happy that someone is curious to know about the vegetarian lifestyle, and remain calm if they start asking tougher or more "insulting" questions like, "But don't you miss meat?" or, "So because you're vegetarian, you still eat chicken and fish, right?" See this as an opportunity and a privilege to teach someone about something you love and can be good for our health.

And here is 16 year-old me! What a rebel. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment + Join the blog!