27 August, 2013

It's You I Like: Fred (Mr.) Rogers.

                                       Source.
Most people have someone that they look up to. They can be family members, friends, or even someone you've never met in person. Sometimes we have more than one person who inspires us; I have many, but my favorite is Fred Rogers.

I grew up watching Mister Rogers' Neighborhood every morning! His songs and morals made me happy and his soft, calm voice kept me patient and interested in what he spoke of. I remember crying the day he passed away but only for a brief moment because I felt like he never left anyone. He always spoke from the heart and sometime around my tender age of 19 I discovered that he was a vegetarian. That was literally the icing on the cake; the person I was so fond of as a child was a vegetarian the whole time!

                                       Source.
Sometimes I feel like he's the reason why I don't bother arguing with people or start fights. I was always a calm child and blossomed in high school as a social butterfly, but I never stopped myself from talking to people who are different from me and my patience is stronger than the usual 20/ 21 year-old. Mr. Rogers believed that children's television should be educational and teach children morals that will benefit them in the future. I can honestly say that his show helped me a lot throughout life.

He wrote and composed every song used in the show and the iconic sweaters he wore were knit by his mother. He really cared about children and wanted to give us nothing but the best. So many generations of children grew up with him and I feel like these new generations are missing out on his kind words and stories. With cable taking over, children's programs have (in my opinion) gone down the sewer.

Another thing I love about Mr. Rogers is that he was a very religious man who did NOT advertise religion in any of his episodes. He accepted everyone for who they were and everyone was welcomed in "his neighborhood". I pay my loving respects to him in this blog post and thank him for giving me wonderful advice and memories. May his work always be remembered. ♥

P.S: HERE'S A WONDERFUL CLIP OF HIS SHOW IN WHICH HE ALSO SINGS "IT'S YOU I LIKE", ONE OF THE MANY AMAZING SONGS HE WROTE & COMPOSED.


“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle.
 To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly 
the way he or she is, right here and now.” 
-Fred Rogers

2 comments:

  1. Happy Labor Day Adi!

    Oh my! This post brought back some of my childhood memories! Seriously I'm tearing up now!

    Hugs, Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Mr. Rogers was definitely the best. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment + Join the blog!