When making this meal, I thought of fashion blogger and friend Brittanee who asked me what can she make on Meatless Monday. This recipe takes about 30 minutes, but definitely worth the time!
*SURPRISINGLY SERVES 2!*
1 LARGE CARROT
5 GARLIC CLOVES
1 HANDFUL OF CHIA SEEDS
CHEESE OF YOUR CHOICE
1. Fill a cup half way with water and add the chia seeds.
2. Chop the carrot, tomato, jalapeño, and garlic cloves.
3. Heat olive oil in pan and add the chopped ingredients. Reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, chop the potato into square shapes; not too large nor too small.
5. Once the ingredients are done cooking, remove from heat. Add a little more olive oil and cook the potatoes. Stir occasionally.
6. Check on the chia seeds. Stir them with a small spoon as some rise and some linger on the bottom of the water.
7. Add seasoning salt, garlic salt, and pepper on the potatoes. Be careful with your proportions, you don't want to add too much! Keep stirring from time to time; potatoes take some time to cook well.
8. After cooking for about 10 minutes, mix the carrot, tomato, jalapeño, and garlic pieces with the potatoes. Continue to stir occasionally so the ingredients don't stick to the pan.
9. The chia seeds should now have a soft, pudding texture. Drain the water from them and add the chia seeds onto the ingredients. Stir everything together.
10. After adding the chia seeds, leave in heat for three minutes before serving. Shred cheese to add on your meal. You can either add the cheese while everything is still in the pan, or add once served in separate bowls and mix. I used monterey jack cheese, but you can add your favorite cheese. If vegan, you can veganize this meal by simply adding vegan cheese.
Part of being a vegetarian or vegan (or a human being in general!) is learning how to cook. If you're a beginner and are not a fan of cooking, have patience and learn to enjoy the time you spend making your meals. Believe me when I say that cooking can even be therapeutic!
I hope this helps both vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores.
Do you love cooking? What are your favorite meals?
Share your thoughts or questions in the comment section below!