18 January, 2014

The vegetarian mermaid goes to San Diego!

Before anything, I must apologise for missing two vegetarian myths in a row! I've been busy for the past two weeks and haven't had much time to blog. However, there WILL be a vegetarian myth next Friday, so be ready for that! :)

As the title of the post says, I am going to San Diego for a day or two. I'm not going to Sea World though because: 1. I don't have the money for that and 2. I can't help but have bitter-sweet feelings. I love being able to see all the beautiful aquatic (and non-aquatic) animals that they care for, but I feel sad to know that some of the animals cannot be released into the wild because they come from a line of animals that have been bred in Sea World, which means that they're not used to what would be their natural habitats in the wild. I can write about all the reasons to why I feel bitter-sweet about Sea World and zoos, but I'd probably have to break it off in sections of blog posts (if anyone is interested in knowing!)

I saw the movie "Blackfish" which is a documentary shedding a negative light on Sea World. Although the movie had me almost shed a tear, for some reason I didn't. I did feel bad for the animals and angry at Sea World, but even my boyfriend told me, "Do your research before believing some movie." We've had talks about Sea World before the "Blakfish" movie came out, and being the wise, young man that he is, I took his advice. Sure enough, I came across a video that caught my attention of a former marine mammal trainer in Sea World who watched the same documentary as me. His name is Kyle Kittleson and he worked in Sea World Orlando, Florida for over five years. That may not be as long as some trainers who were interviewed in the documentary, but he points out important things that (when watching the movie) I forgot to think about. I'll link the video below so that you can all see for yourselves. I agree with him on many things and I'll definitely have to watch "Blackfish" again and take notes. I still have questions and will continue researching.
Hope that everyone has a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I hope your trip is lots of fun. And I think your very wise- to do research, and have an open mind on topics,,,, thats the best way.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tweedles. You're the best!<3

      Delete

Leave a comment + Join the blog!