25 February, 2015

Traditional lentil soup recipe.

As part of the My Legume Love Affair event that the darling Shaheen is hosting this year, I've chosen to share my favorite lentil soup recipe. I was raised on dry legumes, and lentils have been my absolute love for as long as I can remember. This recipe is in a traditional Mexican form; (you probably have all of these ingredients at home already) feel free to alter as you like.


TO MAKE TRADITIONAL LENTIL SOUP, YOU WILL NEED:
2 & 1/2 cups of water
1 & 1/2 cups of lentils
1 tomato
1/2 an onion
1 whole garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
3 teaspoons of your preferred cooking oil
*optional*
black pepper or smoked black pepper
queso fresco

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. In medium heat, add cooking oil to pot.
2. Chop tomato and onion & add into oil.
{oil may jump, so be careful.}
3. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir so the tomato & onion don't stick to the pot.
4. Rinse the dry lentils clean. Add lentils into pot, along with 2 & 1/2 cups of water.
5. After 15 minutes, chop off the top edge of the garlic and add into the soup.
6. After 5 minutes, stir in the salt.
7. Lentils will be ready when soft. Make sure you check regularly.
{Add half a cup of water if needed.}
{The time it takes for the lentils to cook is 3O-4O minutes.}
8. Serve yourself a bowl and enjoy!

Now is the time to add the options. Stir in some black pepper and/or sprinkle some queso fresco on top.
Delicious, nutritious, and vegan if you don't add the cheese. c;
Make sure to drop by Shaheen's blog and give her a follow. She shares amazing recipes and created a blog hop for this event. I'll leave you the link to that HERE.
What are your favorite legumes?



Receta tradicional sopa de lentejas.
En parte del evento My Legume Love Affair que la querida Shaheen acoge este año, he decidido compartir mi receta favorita para sopa de lentejas. Yo me crié en legumbres secas, y las lentejas han sido mi absoluto amor de lo mas que me recuerdo. Esta receta es en forma tradicion Mexicana; (tu probablemente ya tienes todos los ingredientes en casa) eres libre de usar ingredientes que te gustan.

PARA HACER SOPA TRADICIONAL DE LENTEJAS, NECESITARAS:
2 y 1/2 tazas de agua
1 y 1/2 tazas de lentejas
1 tomate
1/2 cebolla
1 ajo entero
1 cucharada de sal
3 cucharadas de tu aceite preferido para cocinar

*opcional*
pimienta negra
queso fresco


INSTRUCIONES:
1. En fuego medio, mete el aceite en la olla.
2. Corta el tomate y cebolla y agrega a la olla.
{aceite puede brincar; ten cuidado.}
3. Deja hervir por 5 minutos. Revuelve el tomate y cebolla para que no se peguen a la olla.
4. Enjuaga las lentejas secas limpio. Agrega lentejas a la olla con 2 y 1/2 tazas de agua.
5. Después de 15 minutos, corta el ajo solo de arriba y agrega a la sopa.
6. Después de 5 minutos, agregas la sal.
7. Las lentejas van a estar listas cuando estén blanditas. Asegúrate de verificar con regularidad.
{Agrega media taza de agua si se necesita.}
{El tiempo que tarda para las lentejas que se cocinen es 3O-4O minutos.}
8. ¡Sírvete en un bol y disfruta!

Ahora es el tiempo para agregar las opciones. Revuelve pimienta o pon queso fresco arriba.

Delicioso, nutritivo, y vegano si no le ponen queso. c;
Recuerda a visitar el blog de Shaheen y sigue también. Ella comparte recetas asombrosas y hizo un blog hop para este evento. Te dejare el link para eso AQUÍ.
¿Cual son tus  legumbres favoritos?


Twitter  Google+ ✽ Tumblr  Pinterest ✽ Instagram

22 comments:

  1. Ah you look so darn adorable! Thank you for sharing this bowl of warming soup with spices for MLLA this mongh. I like the idea of smoked black pepper, will have to seek it out. PS It's Shaheen not Susan :) Still thank you so much for your warm words x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yikes! I'm so sorry, I don'tknow where (or why) I read that wrong; but I just fixed it. :)
      Yes, the smoked black pepper gives it a nice flavor for the spice lovers.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmh I've been currently loving soups, and if I happen to get my hands on lentils, I will try this out. I live in Jakarta, though, where lentils can't really be found in supermarkets :c I also love your hairstyle!

    My favorite legumes are peas, all kinds of beans, and peanuts! Idk if edamame are also legumes hehe

    -Maja

    majatheaztec.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use the same ingredients on other types of beans.
      Aww shucks, thank you. ;3

      And edamame are legumes. :)

      Delete
  3. That looks so nice, I will have to try it!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You won't regret it if you do. ~.o

      Delete
  4. Soup is one of my fave things, love everything in this looks so darn good! :D

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I love it for cold weather like the one we're having right now. :)

      Delete
  5. What a coinsidence, my mom made a similar soup for dinner but instead of lentils it has chickpeas.
    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! I love chickpeas; it must have been delicious. :9

      Delete
  6. This looks great to try out! Bookmarking :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!
    Your hair looks fab by the way :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the soup and your hair! Too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm... I haven't cooked a lentil soup in a while. Must try this next week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so delicious; hope you like them!

      Delete
  10. Eso se ve muy rico, voy a probar la receta pronto :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, I may have to try this with some chicken! I love lentils. They are not on my current diet but I eat them every now and then for the nutrients. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never ate them with chicken before; but on rare occasions I like to add soy chorizo. It gives it a nice flavor too. :)
      You're welcome, enjoy!

      Delete

Leave a comment + Join the blog!